Are you purchasing a home that has been previously owned, or are you remodeling the home you live in now? Either way, there are some steps you can take to make the job easier.
Do A Lot Of Research - Buy a notebook and file folders.
- Browse through decorating books and magazines to find things that capture your heart. If the magazines are yours, cut pictures out and put them in a file folder in their designated spot. For example, if you love a bedroom window treatment, file that in your bedroom file.
- Take notes. If you have visited a friend and you liked her kitchen countertops, make a note of that in your kitchen file so you can get a similar look.
- Go for drives in pretty neighborhoods and take pictures of looks you might want to use.
- Think outside the box. When you have an idea of something you want incorporated into the remodel job, draw a sketch of what you are imagining, or write a description to put into the proper file.
Find A Contractor - Do some research here, too!
- Consider getting recommendations of contractors from family members and friends who have been happy with one they have used in the past.
- How long has the contractor been in business?
- When you meet with the contractor, ask him if there are jobs in the area that you can look at. Does he have a portfolio of past jobs?
- Be very specific about how much money you can spend on your remodel project.
- Be sure there are no hidden costs when he gives you the estimate.
- Is your contractor bonded and insured?
- Find out what kind of materials he plans to use. Do they fit in your budget?
Be sure you and your contractor are on the same page.
- When you meet with them, define your goals.
- Share the files you have accumulated and see which ones are feasible for your remodeling.
- Be open to suggestions. Allow your contractor to use their own talents and experiences to make your plans even better ones.
- Meet with your remodeling contractor often so that you can evaluate progress that is being made.
- Get an estimated date for when the job will be done.
- Be sure that you get everything in writing, including the cost, the guarantees, and the date of completion.
Congratulations on approaching your remodel job in an organized manner. Talk to experts like Frontier Construction Company for more information.Share